What Does a Million Dollar Electrical Cord Look Like?
The answer is: exactly like your electrical cords, except burnt. Everyday items and equipment at your business could cost you millions if they spark a fire due to improper use, lack of maintenance, or poor housekeeping practices. In the past several years, we’ve seen a sharp increase in the number of devastating fires among your industry peers. We don’t want you to experience the same fate. Fortunately, most fires can be prevented – but prevention starts with you. As a business owner, you are responsible for all aspects of your company’s safety. And, October is an excellent time to focus on fire hazards as National Fire Prevention Week falls October 9-15, 2022.
Take Action Now
- Walk through your business and note all the potential sources of fire. Federated clients can leverage a sample fire hazard checklist to help complete this task.
- Make sure the three elements that make up a fire — fuel, oxygen, and heat — are kept separate at your facility.
- Complete scheduled maintenance on all equipment and machinery per manufacturer specifications.
- Make sure your facility has adequate electrical wiring and power. Never use electrical cords as a replacement for permanent wiring.
- Keep your facility clean – clean up any combustible trash, dust, or other materials from the premises every day.
- Conduct regular fire drills and communicate emergency procedures to employees.
- Train employees on the fire hazards at your business and encourage them to report any fire concerns. As they are working, employees are the ones best positioned to notice an overloaded extension cord or discarded oily rags. They need to know what to look for to help curb risks and prevent fire hazards from sparking.
Don’t become the owner of a million-dollar electrical cord. You have the knowledge and responsibility to prevent fires at your business — and Federated is here to help. Federated Insurance® offers a variety of sample fire prevention plans, sample checklists, training resources, and more, which clients can access by logging in to mySHIELD®. Speak to your local Federated Marketing Representative today to learn more.
This article is for general information and risk prevention only and should not be considered legal or other expert advice. The recommendations herein may help reduce but are not guaranteed to eliminate, any or all risk of loss. The information herein may be subject to and is not a substitute for, any laws or regulations that may apply. Some of the services referenced herein may be provided by third parties wholly independent of Federated. Federated provides access to these services with the understanding that neither Federated nor its employees provide legal or other expert advice. All products and services are not available in all states. Qualified counsel should be sought with questions specific to your circumstances and applicable
- Federated Insurance Presents Annual ACCA Super S.T.A.R. Award to Justin Lauten of Total Air & Heat - September 19, 2023
- Protecting Your Employees with Key Person Life Insurance - July 6, 2023
- Questions to Smoke Out Fire Hazards at Your Business - April 6, 2023
BECOME AN ACCA MEMBER