Resolve to Reevaluate Your Risk Management Culture
Day to day life at your business shouldn’t be risky or dangerous — you want to create a safe, clean space for your employees and clients. But without proper safety checkups conducted on a regular basis, it can quickly become unsafe, potentially leading to accidents and losses. Take a close look at your business. Is it up to par in terms of general safety, cleanliness, and functionality? Take a few moments each year to complete an annual safety checkup, and follow up with periodic inspections and regular safety meetings to help create a culture of risk management at your business.
Annual Safety Checkup
Your annual safety checkup may be unique to your specific business, but in general, it is important to review all areas of your workplace, including items such as:
- Machinery and equipment cleanliness and functionality
- Availability and use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Clean floors to prevent slips, trips, and falls
- Clear and updated signage
- Proper lighting for the workspace
- General housekeeping and material handing
- Hazard communication with current documentation
- Clearly designated exit routes in case of an emergency
- Properly functioning ventilation
- Accessible and operational fire extinguishers
- Correct use of ladders
- Functioning machine guards
Keep in mind that this is not a comprehensive list — you will know best what to look for at your workplace. But completing an annual safety checkup, along with periodic check-ins throughout the year, can help you catch infractions that may otherwise slip between the cracks.
Risk Management Culture
When it comes to prioritizing safety, business leaders and risk management professionals agree: It has to start at the top. Business owners must believe in the importance of safety and model the behaviors that will help keep employees — and by extension, the business — safe. A positive example from leadership will likely be reflected throughout the next levels of management and frontline employees.
Federated® clients who are interested in learning more about what to look for during their annual safety checkup can check out mySHIELD®, Federated’s personalized online destination for risk management resources to support your business. Reach out to your local marketing representative for more information.
- Fire Prevention with Federated - October 13, 2023
- Federated Insurance Presents Annual ACCA Super S.T.A.R. Award to Justin Lauten of Total Air & Heat - September 19, 2023
- Protecting Your Employees with Key Person Life Insurance - July 6, 2023
BECOME AN ACCA MEMBER